Training Placement - Autistic Spectrum Disorder
St Andrew's has created a unique service for men with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD), specifically those with Asperger's Syndrome.
Our ASD service works in close collaboration with the National Autistic Society, and Harlestone, our low secure service, has achieved Quality Service Accreditation.You will work within a highly experienced multidisciplinary team, providing input in the day-to-day care of the service users with ASD, working in collaboration with other team members.
You will gain experience in:
- working with a small caseload of patients with ASD in the low secure or medium secure specialist units within a multidisciplinary team (psychologist, speech and language therapist, occupational therapist, social worker, teacher)
- contributing to case discussion in rounds
- preparing reports for CPA meetings, Tribunals and Hospital Manager’s Hearings other legal meetings
- chairing CPA meetings and attending Tribunals and Manager’s Hearings
- assessing patients referred to the service
- attending monthly clinical management and Autism Strategy Group meetings.
- assessment of patients with ASD and challenging or offending behaviour
- risk assessment using standard tools
- understanding and participation in ASD-specific group-based therapies
- the legislative framework, particularly Part III of the Mental Health Act
- writing for court reports via the St Andrew’s Consultancy Service