“Our main goal is to enhance the delivery of optimum independent living through reducing levels of dependence.”
Tavener is a 16-bed locked unit (of which 4 are within self-contained flats) which specialises in the admission, stabilisation and treatment of adult men who have an acquired brain injury or have a neurological condition, and those with complex mental health needs and neuropsychiatric diagnoses.
Our therapeutic programme is designed to create a positive reinforcing environment where individuals experience success through achievable goals and regular opportunities for learning. The care pathway can provide input from early diagnosis of a condition, subsequent adjustment, rehabilitation and end of life care.
Pioneers in assessment and rehabilitation
Over 35 years we have developed and implemented a number of internationally approved tools to assist in the setting of appropriate goals and to help track and monitor progress in the patients’ rehabilitation. These include SASNOS, SASBA, OAS-MNR, as well as HoNOS-secure and HoNOS-ABI as well as the FIM+FAM. Read more here...
Optimising Independent Living
Our many years of experience have shown us that treating the underlying cause of challenging behaviour is the first step towards achieving successful and sustainable outcomes. Today we are proud to deliver a service focused on enabling hope, recovery and independence for all those in our care and reinforced by ‘My Life’ – the patient’s commitment to take responsibility and control over their individual needs.
We empower patients by providing a full range of psychological and occupational therapy programmes covering core to targeted psychological therapies, basic activities of daily living and community work placements. Our programmes and interventions:
- are highly structured and tailored to the individual
- provide constant support and guidance to reinforce appropriate behaviour and skills
- cater for those with intensive, complex and acute needs
- are delivered by a full time multidisciplinary team (MDT)
- offer individual and group therapy programmes tailored to specific needs
- address functional and behavioural issues such as communication, self-care, inhibition, interpersonal behaviour and aggression.
- exceed the recommended 25 hours of meaningful activity per week.
Who we care for
Tavener accepts men over 18 with a formal psychiatric or neurological diagnosis and a history of acquired brain injury. This may result in cognitive deficits or behavioural changes which require rehabilitation in an in-patient setting.
Our environment is designed to support the therapeutic and social needs of our patients and includes:
- 14 bedrooms, including one with disabled access
- four self-contained units with kitchen and en-suite bathroom
- de-escalation and seclusion facilities
- access to an on-site gym including exercise machines which are accessible for patients with physical disabilities and sensory impairments
- on-site cafes
- a leisure and games room
- an accessible courtyard garden and larger patio and lawn area
- lounge area with satellite TV, DVD and stereo.