Our nursing career pathway
I have worked here for six years and am about to start my registered nurse training. I feel part of a community at St Andrew’s – we all work together to offer the best possible care.
Our nursing career pathway within St Andrew's Healthcare is unique. It enables you to develop and move through the profession without ever leaving the charity. You can progress from Healthcare Assistant to Staff Nurse through our 'Aspire' programme which supports 20 members of staff to gain a nursing degree supported by a £15,000 per year bursary, and then onto more senior positions.
The pathway also provides opportunities to develop your career clinically as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Consultant, or through a more managerial route as a Nurse Manager.
Your career pathway
The first step in using the pathway is to identify your current level of practice within the roles below.
From here you can explore the knowledge, skills and behaviours expected for practitioners at that particular level. This will help you to identify your learning and development needs which you can then discuss with your line manager. The career pathway is developed as a cumulative process. Before you move to the next level. you are expected to achieve the criteria at lower levels as well as those at your current level.
Nurses are at the heart of our plans for the future - we'd love you to be part of it.
- Healthcare Assistant – Band 2 (HCA)
- Trainee Assistant Practitioner – Band 3 (TAP)
- Activities Co-Ordinator – Band 3 (AC)
- Senior Healthcare Assistant – Band 3 (SHCA3)
- Senior Healthcare Assistant – Band 4 (SHCA4)
- Assistant Practitioner – Band 4 (AP)
- Staff Nurse/Senior Staff Nurse – Band 5 (SN)
- Clinical Nurse Leader – Band 6 (CNL)
- Night Site Co-Ordinator – Band 6 (NSC)
- Senior Night Site Co-Ordinator – Band 7 (SNSC)
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner – Band 7 (ANP)
- Nurse Manager – Senior Manager 1 (NM)
- Operational Manager – Senior Manager 2 (OM)
- Modern Matron – Senior Manager 2 (MM)
- Consultant Nurse – Senior Manager 2/3 (CN)
We work hand in hand with the University of Northampton and other institutions to deliver a full pathway of bespoke short courses and higher educational opportunities to our healthcare staff.
Our staff have access to specialised training for certificates and a Foundation Degree, providing a route to degree and postgraduate studies. In addition we run a vibrant programme of continuing professional development.